By Renée Kemske, MPH, RD, LDN, Registered Dietitian and Lifestyle Coach
Once again, the holiday season is upon us, and we all know what that means: a few extra goodies and treats, a few extra pounds, and even a bit of added stress. From the dish of candy at the office to the cookies from the neighbors, there seems to be a tempting dish every time you turn around.
Take a look at these quick tips to help you stay on track with your healthy lifestyle goals during this holiday season:
- Plan Ahead. Mark your calendar with all your holiday meals and parties. This way you know ahead of time of these tempting food days. Try to eat lightly throughout these days to balance the calories and fat in your party food.
- Learn about Substitutions. Use low-fat ingredients in your favorite recipes to enjoy your favorite foods without the added calories and fat. Think about taking a healthy dish to a party to share with your family and friends.
- Be Particular. Eat only what you really want, not as an obligation to others cooking/hosting the party or because the food is just there.
- No Skipping! Don’t skip meals prior to your holiday feast. This will only lead to bingeing. Eat lightly throughout the day to curb your appetite so that you won’t overeat at parties.
- Portions Please! Allow yourself to taste the foods you really want, but have smaller portions so you won’t feel deprived.
And Remember: Relax,Have Fun, and Enjoy!