By Chelsea Hawkins, Durham County Health Educator and Lifestyle Coach
Have you ever hit a roadblock in your workout routine? Many of us can grow tired of the same routine or exercise. Often this causes us to dread our workouts, cut them short, or even skip them completely. If we skip too many workouts, it can make it harder to reach the recommended 150 weekly minutes of physical activity. So, what can we do to help maintain our physical activity levels if we find ourselves at a roadblock? Here are 5 tips for revitalizing your workout routine.
- Mix up your Routine. Mixing up your routine helps to keep your workout routine “fresh”. Varying your activities and even how hard you are working out from day to day can help lower your risk of injury. Sign up for a new cardio class, go for a bike ride, or try a fitness video at home.
- Do What You Enjoy. Choosing an activity that you enjoy increases the likelihood that you will continue to do it regularly. Consider something that fits in your schedule and your budget.
- Find an Exercise Buddy. Having a buddy or a group to workout with can be a real motivator. An exercise buddy provides you with an accountability partner. You can rely on a person who is also relying on you to get out and move. Also, for many people, exercise is more fun with someone else!
- Record Your Activity. Recording your activity helps you to stay on track and see your progress. In the beginning, use your activity log to see if there are any patterns. You can use the information to answer questions like:“Is there a certain day of the week that you have trouble finding time to workout? Or “Do you work out longer with a certain type of activity?”
- Reward Yourself! Any time we are making changes in our lives, it is nice to reward ourselves! Set goals and reward yourself for achieving them. Remember, rewards do not have to be food-related OR expensive! Maybe you choose to reward yourself with a new clothing item, book to read, a movie to watch, or just some quiet time for yourself!
If you find that you have reached a roadblock in your workout routine, take a step back and consider some of the tips above and the following quote: “When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.” Remember,you should always consult with your healthcare provider before beginning a new exercise routine.